Box Hill Golf Club
The very first known site for Box Hill Golf Club was a site just south of Canterbury Road (subsequently called Delaney Road)in which a 9 hole course was created.
The team again fell victim to subdivision in 1924 and rented land along Doncaster Road in which an 18-hole route was laid out one of the orchards. Box Hill Club as a distinct entity stayed in recess before the title was resurrected in 1933 when Mr J.P.C Wellard constructed the”The Box Hill Public Golf Links” to the site of today’s front nine. A group of players formed a brand new variant of Box Hill Golf Club.
Mr Wellard completed significant work, putting out fairways, tees and greens and creating a reticulated water system. The Depression years in the 1930s found a slow-down of growth. In 1938, several members of the Eastern Golf Club banded together to purchase property in the sand buckle area in the Melbourne Hunt Club in East Oakleigh and started a class since Huntingdale Golf Club in 1941.
The war years slowed growth of the Box Hill Links but shortly afterwards, a route was in drama. Back in 1952, the societal players of the Box Hill Golf Club who’d played in the Box Hill Links approached Mr Wellard to market to them the territory of the course he’d assembled. Agreement has been reached on a cost of $75,000 but the team couldn’t raise all of the cash. So, it purchased just half of the property that would be crucial to get an 18-hole course. In 1967, the team owned from the Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works sufficient property to build a 18-hole course.
In 1956, the team applied for a liquor permit, something of an odd occurrence in which was basically a”dry place”. In spite of local rumour, the team promoted its program from The Argus dated 11 March 1955; a few people had whined the program had just been promoted in a distant country paper to stop from coming to detect locally where there may be objections. The fantasy is still being perpetuated today in certain books.
In the 1980s onwards, the team grown substantially. The new territory to the north has been designed in to two brand new golf holes (current 15th and 16th) that subsequently provided scope to its re-development of holes 13, 14, 17 and 18. The end result has been the accomplishment of a difficult 18-hole golf course that has been evolve.
A mark close to the tees on the 15th and 17th holes of the Box Hill class refers to an area of historic significance in Australian history. It was that they made some of the celebrated works.
We are based in South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and cover any nearby suburb. Dandenong, Frankston, Mornington, Rowville, Ringwood, St Kilda, Carnegie, Boxhill, Burwood & More. Call Us Now to Get $20 OFF From Any Service!